The American Legion, The Department of Iowa, Post 298
Homes of Marion Post 298 over the years
The Memorial Hall was built in 1899 for the
Robert Mitchell No. 126 Women’s Relief Corps.
The Marion Post used this building for their meetings
from 1919 to 1921.
The Dearborn Hotel was built in about 1902.
In 1917 the name was changed to the O’Heron Hotel.
Later the name was changed to the New
It was purchased by the American Legion
This building located on 12th Street and 6 Ave. was next to the Legion home, the New Dearborn Hotel.
It was one of the 1st brick homes built in Marion, about 1843.
It was torn down about 1969 to make room for the newer Legion addition.
This photo was taken about 1970, before the top 2 floors of the hotel were removed.
A basement was added near this time.
The hotel after top 2 floors were removed.
The house on the left was purchased and torn down, to make room for a Legion parking lot.
The 6th Street tracks were in front of the house.
By 1993 the Legion had out-grown this location.
A new location was selected, and a home was built at 625 31st Street.
Later, a Veterans Memorial was added on the South side in front of the trees
In 2010 the Boy Scouts’ trees
were removed from the Veterans Memorial site.
Send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or comments about this web site.
President Abraham Lincoln as stated in the Gettysburg Address
"From these honored dead we take increased
devotion to that cause for which they here gave the
22 November, 2014 Last update